Search This Blog

Friday, September 03, 2004

Van Halen Rant part I

(oooooooooooooooooh, she's a little runaway)

So I’m playing my baseball video game today playing. I had Radke pitching a no-hitter through 6 innings against the Cleveland Indians. I had never went that far pitching a no-hitter in the past when finally some bastard-slice hits a little dinker to left field.
Man, I was so mad I drank stale milk!

Then tonight, sure enough, Santana went through the exact same thing!

Johan, I know how it feels man!


I wanted to take this time to rant about Van Halen. After eight years of waiting, they finally toured this summer. And if that wasn’t enough, they were touring with my favorite VH singer, Sammy Hagar.

My Van Halen heyday was in the mid to late 90’s just after Hagar left. I bought the Best Of cd (the better greatest hits album!) and instantly loved the two-hand tapping.
This last summer, I out grew them.

~~~~~~~August 1998~~~~~~~~~~

Van Halen just released ‘Van Halen III’ earlier in the year with vocals by ex-Extreme front man Gary Cherone. In my opinion, the album was interesting in a good way. They added a little depth to their song writing and musically, the songs were hinting of progressive rock. The critics though, probably listened to one song off the album, ‘How Many Say I’ which was Eddie Van Halen’s singing debut. Lyrically, the song was alright; musically the song was decent; vocally the song was about as bad as Breaking Benjamin’s ‘So Cold’ if not worse.

As a whole, I appreciated the experimentation with deeper songs and creativity, but Eddie had to open his damn mouth!

Anyway, they went on tour that year (1998) and they had a date for Float Rite Amphitheatre in Somerset, WI the Sunday before Labor Day.

I was just starting out my first week of college at SSU in Marshall, MN. I was planning on coming back for the weekend to tell everyone what the nightlife in Marshall was like, also attending the Vikings game on that Sunday (Randy Moss’ debut), and heading for the concert shortly after the game!

Better yet, Creed was the opening act for Van Halen, so I could probably get away with skipping church!

Word on the street, was that Eddie started drinking too.
Everything was working out great!

Then the concert was cancelled due to lack of sales. I was somewhat mad (compared to my usual ‘I don’t care’ attitude) and the waiting started. However, the Vikings did end up winning!

~~~~~~~~~Denver 2004~~~~~~~~~~~

This was it man! Not only do I get to see the band I have waited 8 years to see, but also I get to leave that crappy basement in Sodak and see Denver!

The concert was a wake up call. I realized that I grew out of my Van Halen phase while attending the concert.
Maybe it was the stupid on-stage antics or the carnie looking crowd or even 58-year-old Sammy Hagar laying on the stage and kicking his legs to the song, “Jump”. I found myself rolling my eyes more than a few times during the show.

As a rule of thumb, if you’re in a band and you’re looking for a lead singer;

FIND SOMEONE THAT IS AROUND THE AGE OF THE BAND!

Van Halen is mostly a band in their 40’s with a singer that flirting with his 60’s!

Someone F’ed up.

And then there are the ‘Best of Both Worlds’ so-called Van Halen’s greatest hits.

Pfff far from it! I’ll continue this rant next week.

Have a good weekend everyone!

No comments: