Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 22, 2004

God or Football?

(And I can see the mountains, I can see the sky with three more minutes to go)

The friction started sometime last week when I told my mom,

“Hey Mom, just FYI ahead of time, so you don’t get really mad. The Vikes are playing the Packers at 2pm on Christmas Eve, so I doubt I’ll be able to go to church. That and the whole ‘I-don’t-want-to-be-Catholic-anymore’ thing.“
“Oh no. You’re going to church buddy! I don’t care who’s playing” my Mom fired back.

This is what we go through every year. It was easy when I didn’t live at home and I could just hang out at the hizzy and not answer the phone, but this year will be a bit difficult.

It’s probably not a big deal across the country, but here in the Midwest, it’s getting a little pesky to plan around. That is, Mass and football.

It’s reminds me of that Simpson’s episode where Homer decides to stay home from church to watch football and ends up having the best day of his life. Families everywhere will have to deal with a battle of two huge priorities in life, Football and God.

***************
[bom bom bom bom BOO, DON, DON, DON, DAHHH]
Al Micheals: Welcome to this week’s match up between two Titans of sorts whom have battled each other for a good forty years. That’s right, we are talking about the oldest rival football has ever delt with. God. God is coming in this game with an unbeaten record, but the NFL has been going strong in the last ten years or so. Today, the faith of everyone will be involved in ‘The Battle over the Collection Plate’. Both sides want the money but only one will come out with the win.

***************

Maybe if the Vikes were 4-10 and playing the Browns then no one would really give much of a damn. Maybe if the Vikes were 13-1 and already clinched everything, then people would attend church instead.

It will be interesting to see if the game is a tight one, who will the guys go with; Their support for their spiritual leader or their love of football? This is truly a huge
game!

Tomorrow I’ll be talking all about this game!

No comments: