Search This Blog

Thursday, February 10, 2005

Serious Ball-Kicking!

I went down to the crossroad
fell down on my knees
I went down to the crossroad
fell down on my knees
Asked the lord above
"Have mercy now
save poor Bob if you please"Y
eeooo, standin at the crossroad
tried to flag a ride

The stars aligned and Boston even won another championship.

I also just finished a book, which is a grand achievement for me. In fact, in the last year I have read at least three books. At this rate, next year at this time, I’ll read another three!!!

Remember back in high school or even those stupid generals you needed to take in college where you had to take some sort of a science class? I remember those times because I don’t think I ever had one decent teacher ever teaching me any of that sort. Actually I had a pretty good astronomy professor, but it ended up being the only class I ever scored a D in, so nevermind.

The book I read was “A Short History of Nearly Everything” by Bill Bryson. I figured, I wanna know the history of almost everything, so I picked it up. I also got a recommendation a couple years ago by one of my old crazy-ass female roommates whom also likes the author. I actually read “A Walk in the Woods” a long time ago because it was about Bryson and his dumbass friend attempting to hike the Appalachian Trail (2,100 miles from Georgia to Maine). It was a damn funny book!

Anyway, History is probably one the best books of it’s kind because it doesn’t drown anyone in a sea of statistics and three syllable words.

It actually jumps from astronomy to chemistry to physics to biology in short and stays in depth along with keeping the content interesting.

After reading this book, I wanted to go back to Tartan High School and kick my science teacher in the balls for being a fucktard (remember drunk-ass Mr. Carlson?). I KNEW this crap was interesting somehow. It’s just that it wasn’t taught anywhere near where it should be. Geology can be interesting if someone didn’t show us boring ass filmstrips of sedimentary rocks! Astronomy could be interesting if we didn’t have the big fucking numbers associated with it (after 1 billion, does any number even matter?)

This was one of my major scabs with the U of M profs, high school science teachers, and even those fatwads at SSU; the damn profs were just too consumed in their research to even convey a decent, interesting lecture (for the most part). I’m not asking for entertainment, but if the theory of Yellowstone of blowing up at any given day is out there, give me a hint because I might want to know more. At the very least I might have second thoughts of taking a trip there.
If there was a meteorite in northwestern Iowa that was once considered the comet that caused the extinction of the dinosaurs, at the very least WRITE IT DOWN IN A NAPKIN SO I CAN SEE or open a god damn atlas for once in your life and point where it’s at.

Bryson is not even a science writer either therefore; there is probably enough errors in the book. Still, he really keeps it interesting with the backstabbing by chemists and the perverted nomenclature a certain botanists would give his specimens.

I especially liked the chapter when he was talking about plate tectonics. In the olden days in order to explain the fossils of European animals in America, scientists would draw a huge fucking land bridge over the Atlantic Ocean in order to solve that problem quickly. Sounds like that scientist is related to me!

One of the most interesting bits was the notion that Earth has had quite a few near misses by large meteoroids in the last thirty years. Now-don’t-stop thinking about that fucking stupid DEEP IMPACT movie or that two hour waste of time known as Armegeddon, and imagine this large dark object just passing in front of Earth as it continues revolving around the Sun.

It’s kinda crazy and Bryson also mentions in extensive detail, the play-by-play on what would actually happen if a large ass meteor hit the Earth. Again, stop thinking about Ben Affleck!

I totally recommend this book and I also open this time up for any other recommendations for my next conquest.

And to save time, I’ve already read Angels and Demons and The DaVinci code (loved em).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

tberg,

you know i'm a big reader so enjoy these choices
1- a confederacy of dunces - toole - awesom don quixote in new orleans thing

2- trainspotting - welsh - better than the movie

3 - about a boy, high fidelity - nick hornby - yes they're made into movies that you may not like, but they're good reads

3 - dysutopian novels - 1984, Brave New World - i think you may dig these

17 - the fundamentals of golf - ben hogan - really helped out my game

z - a people's history of the usa - zinn - yeah used in good will hunting scene but want a more accurate representation of american history read this shit "americans are motivated by power and money" how to