Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 04, 2005

Finally, A Pinch Hitting Duty

Mississippi in the middle of a dry spell
Jimmy Rodgers on the Victrola up high
Mama's dancin' with baby on her shoulder
The sun is settin' like molasses in the sky

I figure that today is going to be one of two absolutely gorgeous days we’ll get this year, so no one’s going to read this.

If you’re reading this and you’re in the Twin Cities and it’s still Wednesday, you seriously have a blogging problem or you need to quit your job.

So I’ll indulge.

They finally gave me a project at work.

I walked in last week when my boss came to my desk and said,
“Hey, I got a big duct cleaning project and I’m giving it to you” as he drops this huge blueprint in my lap.

I felt like I ‘made it’ in terms of being involved in construction. Throughout the years all I have been doing is helping out in other projects and not even worrying about cost savings or dealing with spreadsheets because the work was pretty simple.


This time though… I got people to contact, places to visit, ‘come to Jesus’ talks, walkthroughs, safety, and planning, planning, PLANNING!

I knew learning Microsoft Project would come in handy some day!

So now, NOW you can almost call me a project manager because I am managing and I am the head dude in this new $60k project. This is my baby.

For years I have been involved in small cleaning jobs and projects that would drift into the night. I’ve been considered the company’s “night” guy. This is the first step to being a “day” guy, so I could point and laugh at the new “night” guy and work the grand hours of 7-3:30.

Oh how I yearn for the days of coming home from work at 3:30 and taking a 2 hour power nap and STILL have enough time to play some softball or hitting the gym.

(sigh)

I can walk through the building with a clip board and look for people to kick off site. I can say stuff like,
“Listen bitch, this is my project and you’re not going to fuck things up. Go home and take a bath and clean the stink off your actions!”

Not only that but the person who’s supervising this job (for the contractor) is getting his first taste at that respected job, so this job is gonna be efficient as all hell!

Uh….

That’s all folks.

1 comment:

Orbitron19 said...

Congrats on the promotion! "Mo' Money, Mo' Money, Mo' Money.....maybe.