Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 11, 2005

Seriously Though

I’m so glad
I’m so glad
I’m so glad, I’m glad, I’m glad

I consider myself to be a connoisseur of pizza, cheeseburgers, and jo-jo potatoes. I have no idea why I’m still involved in the jo-jo potato movement, but I am still the biggest jo-jo lover I know of.

It’s terrible--It really is. It all started with the local Knowlans grocery store just down the street from my house (and not to far from where I work). When class was finished at the U of M I would kill twenty minutes eating jo-jos and drinking Coke in my car.

I would head over to Knowlans at the same time on the same two days of the week. It would get to the point where the deli person would say,
“Pound of jo-jos? “ and I would nod accordingly.

Finally one day the lady said something like,
“Why don’t you just save some money and make your own?”
“I uh-uh, I don’t know. I like your jo-jos.” and I never went back to Knowlans for jo-jos again. How dare they call me out on buying so much greasy food. How dare they tell me to ‘make my own’.

So I ventured out to Cub Foods, which is ridiculously close to work. I walked up to the deli line when I saw S’s brother in law who I sat next to at S’s wedding (Also the wedding where I gave the best man’s speech). So we had one of those catch up conversations but it was ok because it’s been less than a year so it was cool.

It was finally apparent that I was going to Cub Foods too much when S’s brother in law said,
“Dude, you really do love your jo-jos. I can’t believe you just don’t make them yourself!”

“Fuck you bitch!” …on the inside
On the outside I was like,
“I uh-uh, I don’t know. I like your jo-jos.” and I never came back again.

Well, I came back but I haven’t lately.

The next stop was Cub Foods’ rival, Rainbow Foods. I stopped in the deli and ordered their jo-jos and they were exquisite! They were a little crunchy-but not too crunchy, they were greasy-but not too greasy, and they were $.50 cheaper too!

I found my new grocery store! Until…

Until after a good hundred orders of jo-jos the lady said,
“You order so many jo-jos. Why don’t you just make some?”

“I uh-uh, I don’t know. I like your jo-jos” and now I’m fucked!

I am going to have to find a new grocery store now.

And I can’t mention jo-jos without mentioning that Knowlans (circa: 1993-1998) had the *BEST* jo-jos I have ever tasted.

Oh my lord these things were awesome. I mentioned that Knowlans was just down the road from my house so I would bike over there and buy Doritos, and collect Pepsi points (what a bunch of bullshit that was), and I would load up on jo-jos for fifteen cents a piece.

These jo-jos were really crispy and had a nice breaded coating. It was like eating chicken without the guilt. Then I came back home from my first year of college and *tear* Knowlans changed their recipe for jo-jos marking one of the darkest days in the history of my world.

So ah…. THE END

7 comments:

Hannes said...

What is a jo-jo?

Hog said...

Knowlan's did used to have the best jo-jo's. Everytime the folks would go to Knowlan's I had to put in my order for some jo-jo's.

Ahh those were the days, were they not?

A jo-jo potato is a potato wedge(a giant version of the kind you can find at BW3's) that has a seasoned crunchy coating that is delicious.

And how the f^$@ do you make your own Berg?

Eric Wormann said...

What's BW3's?

Boof said...

Coitus?
Johnson?

BW3's is short for Buffalo Wild Wings, an ever expanding chain around here.

Yeah and jo-jos are like country style fries only made with extra care!

h said...

BW3 - Buffalo Wild Wings - sports bar specifically in buffalo wings and potato wedges.

The key to the jo-jo

1/2 c. flour
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. garlic salt
1 tsp. pepper
1/2 tsp. chili powder
1/2 c. Parmesan cheese
1/2 tsp. onion salt

Place in oven. Cook.

Boof said...

and.....
being a guy that doesn't have plates
-one who carefully measures water in order to boil noodles
-one who's actually burnt soup
-buys way too much fast food
-never used his dishwasher
-refridgerator that is nearly empty
-uses plastic utensils stolen from work


you think I'm going to make these?

hmmmm perhaps I will.

JO-JO EATING PARTY AT MY PLACE!!!

Orbitron19 said...

I'm glad I'm not the only one who didn't know WTF a Jo-Jo was!