Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 15, 2005

I Can't Take It Anymore!

Remember when you were young, you shone like the sun.
Shine on you crazy diamond.
Now there's a look in your eyes, like black holes in the sky.
Shine on you crazy diamond.

Today I’m going to talk about Canadian politics.

*twitch, twitch*

OK, OK, I CAN’T! You got me.

Every since Sunday I have been in a weird mood. I have been wide awake with a ‘butterflies in the stomach’ feeling. Kinda like 'being fed cheese bread by Marisa Tomei kinda an uneasy happy' feeling.

This is the suppressed me.

If I were to let everything go I would be running from point A to point B waving my arms wildly above my head and screaming in sheer joy. I would be picking everyone’s ear off with banter centering around a certain topic. I would have a jambox tied onto a bungee cord with the other end tied onto my waist, dragging behind me wherever I go.

When tired out I would be playing serenity induced air guitar off my balcony and eating jo-jos til I drop.

When it comes to music, I don’t have the same interests like my peers have. I don’t know anyone else who likes the Cowboy Junkies or Patty Griffin.
At least, I don’t know anyone who shares the passion of this music like I do.

I never talk about my musical interests because I don’t want to be one of those people that drowns out and bores someone else by blah, blah, blah-ing about a topic they don’t know or care about.

When big news like say, Pink Floyd reuniting, is announced, the suppression gets to be a bit much.

Like today for instance I immediately came over to my coworkers cubical to discuss this new nugget of info.

Berg: HEY, didja hear the BIG news!?
V in a surprised maner: nah what?
Berg dancing around and loudly says: PINK FLOYD IS BACK TOGETHER!!!!
V who is simply just ‘happy for me’: Wow I bet you’re stoked.
Berg running in circles with a dumb smile and his tongue hanging out: Yeah I’m a bit happy.

That’s what it’s like.

Even the people that appreciate the music are like, “hmm, cool!”

COOL? HMMM?

Roger Waters is getting back with Pink Floyd and they all are going to play together. They have not played anything off of Dark Side together for OVER 30 YEARS!!!!

HMMMM COOOOOL?!!!?

Some of the usual responses are:
1. Well, they obviously need the money
Well this doesn’t have anything to do with money other than to help give relief to Africa. The artists are not being paid and, not to mention, Gilmour already has hundreds of millions in the bank already. Waters is making a killing off of royalties from anyone that buys ‘The Wall’, so he’s not living check to check either.

2. Pfff give me a call once they bring back Syd Barret comes back.
You fucker!
See, the person that says this is completely stupid as all fucking hell. The obviously know enough about the first lead singer, but fail to realize that ‘one of the most fascinating/tragic stories in music’ will not be making an appearance. EVER.
These people deserve tragic beatings.

This isn’t like Fleetwood Mac or The Eagles grudgingly admitting that they need money, this is the actual foursome that created arguably the greatest four sequential albums ever in Dark Side, Wish You Were Here, Animals, and The Wall.

The same band management that, a couple months ago, clearly stated that they would NOT reunite, if ever.
Fans of the band, including myself, figured this band was dead and every year that passed when the members were heading into their 60’s would solidify that notion.

I was looking at the lineup of live 8 when it was just rumored that PF would attend and they had names like: Paul McCartney, Madonna, Coldplay, U2, Elton John, Sting, Crosby, Stills & Nash, The Who, Snoop-a-loop, and Stevie Wonder.
In other words, top tier acts.

Since PF made the announcement, all those acts seem so 2nd tier to me, obviously.

The reuniting news is the music news equivalent to the Twins winning the World Series!

It’s simply amazing to me that such a cause would have the power to unite this band after all those years and after all that bickering.

I never thought anything would. Even if it is for 20 minutes.

6 comments:

Hannes said...

Let's leave Canadian politics out. That's a pile of stink you don't want to play with.

Orbitron19 said...

BTW, I know that Floyd Didn't play it, but have you seen the Live Aid DVD? It an amazing time capsule of some pretty damn good performances. I'd love to see Pink Floyd reunite for just one concet. I saw Iggy & The Stooges & The Pixies, now I just have Pink Floyd and I think I will have a pretty damn complete concert history.

Boof said...

I've seen parts of it but not enough to remember much.
I know that Led Zeppelin got back together for that concert, but they disbanded, what, five years before that day?

yeah I gotta catch that!

Eric Wormann said...

Well I'll be seeing Huey Lewis & The News this August, and they blow Pink Floyd out of the water.

Boof said...

What's Huey Lewis compared to Def Leppard AND Bryan Adams?

It's like you're all nuts for one of those acts and then
BAM!
Here comes Bryan Adams to rock your socks off!

Eric Wormann said...

Wait, you're serious about the liking Bryan Adams thing?