Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 26, 2005

Backpacking

Ooh, a storm is threatening my very life today
If I don't get some shelter, oh yeah I'm gonna fade away
War, children, it's just a shot away, it's just a shot away

It seems that H (who never updates his site) has acted as an enabler to an addiction that comes up every couple years.

“Dude, you gotta set up some sort of a camping trip! You’re the one who knows all the camping folks.” H says.

And it all started from there.

It all started back in 1995 when I went on a backpacking trip with my dad, brother and five others (including two older girls). The trip was spectacular with all the sights, the hard work, and the simple idea of getting away from society for 10 days.

While we were out hiking in the mountains we had no idea of any news and hardly any contact from the world. We had a great 10 day break from the stupid, worthless OJ Simpson trial and were without baseball stats for the whole duration. No radio. No TV. No newspaper. Nothing but us and our gear.

The great thing about backpacking is when one is 30 miles away from the nearest road they tend to be more down to Earth and less fake. I am also a self proclaimed comedic genius when I’m on trail. I don’t know what happens to me, but whenever I turn my cap backwards, I turn into a comedy machine.

Anyway, I went on six year backpacking hiatus until I went to Glacier National Park and when I saw wildlife and clean ‘beer commercial’ streams I had the urge once more.

Some of the best nights ever have come from backpacking trips. I would take a night under the stars over any night in my bed because it’s so soothing. That’s why I was thinking about sleeping on my balcony a couple weeks ago.

So I’m currently in the process of planning a splendid four day trek onto one of the most highly regarded trails in the US, the Superior Hiking Trail in northern Minnesota. In September no less.

Can you imagine the fall colors and crisp air!

I can’t wait!

Now for some graham crackers.

1 comment:

h said...

Set it up. I'm itching to go backpackin.