Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 13, 2005

Most Awesomely...(Revisited)

Tangerine, Tangerine,
Living reflection from a dream;
I was her love, she was my queen, And now a thousand years between.

***********
This is the Celine Dion intro I was talking about last week. Click on the 'live 8 video' under the artist spotlight and imagine a large Canadian crowd booing and laughing. Her gestures are priceless.
***********

Anyway, I usually can’t stand slow moving traffic from gawkers looking at a wreak on the side of the road. You’ll be driving in stop and go traffic for 20 minutes all because people want to see blood.
WTF.

With people I don’t like, I don’t wish any harm. Take Bud Selig for example, as much as he’s wanted to screw the Twins by trying to quietly emphasize the Brewers.
Anyway if I met face to face with Selig, I wouldn’t hit him too hard. Just a little slap for symbolic reasons and a simple question of ’what is wrong with you?’ is all I would need.
My reasoning is that no one man would want to have their masculinity in check from such a slap from another man.

I think it would be damn effective!

Although I will fully admit (and metaphorically speaking) that if the wreak involves a certain company I dislike, I will gladly stop and watch. I may even go home to find a lawn chair, some pop, and a jam box, and maybe even a small grill if the day is nice enough--just to gain some much needed satisfaction from such a wreak.

This has definitely been the case in terms of MTV/VH1 and the backlash they received as a result of their Live 8 coverage. Because there is American television and then there’s MTV. MTV is a bowl of sugar compared to the Cinnamon Toast Crunch that the networks portray as the American way of life. (bad analogy... I'm just hungry for cereal)

The day after Live 8 critics, bloggers, viewers, and rival stations unloaded onto the music television stations. People were irate after the coverage, which led to this AP release,

http://www.katu.com/entertainment/story.asp?ID=78165

Now that the dust has settled and there are other worries with bombings and the sort, I don’t think people should be fired after such a mistake.
After all that’s why the put erasers on pencils.

Then last week came a follow up story from the AP,

The last paragraph as follows,
Many of MTV's viewers weren't even alive when Pink Floyd broke up, so [Van]Toffler [President of MTV Network's Music Group] said he was surprised at how many wanted to see the band's reunion performance in full.
From: http://www.canoe.ca/NewsStand/LondonFreePress/Today/2005/07/09/1123830-sun.html

Screw it, fire this guy. Clean out your desk and hand your desk key to the secretary because you obviously are lacking anything resembling a clue and your job (and other‘s jobs) are suffering as a result of your stupidity. Such a quote is easily the dumbest thing I have heard in the last 6 months.

Seriously, if you are in charge of a music television station and you question how your audience would be interested in a reunion of one of the most successful bands of all time, you’re done. It’s quite simple. Bow your head in shame, gather your belongings, and listen as I heckle the crap out of you alongside the road in my lawn chair.

One of the smaller scaled selling points of Live 8 is that you can watch the artists that you never used to watch before. Take me for example, I haven’t seen the Black Eyed Peas, Maroon 5, Coldplay, or even Jet perform live before, however this event gave me the perfect time to do so with their 3 song sets.
I’m sure the same went for the younger generation that never understood acts like Pink Floyd or The Who.

Yes, they’re all old but they proved that age has little effect great performances.

Maybe, possibly, the thought of 60 year olds performing 30 year old classic songs live sound interesting to people of all ages--I don’t know.

Anyway, MTV/VH1 re-aired the Live 8 concert with continuous commercial-free coverage last Saturday, which tells you,
A: A freighting amount of people complained about their coverage and ratings were greatly affected
B: Viacom’s investors weren’t keen on the original coverage
C: MTV/VH1 executives actually have consciences.

Who knows?

No comments: