Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Commissioner Boof

Did you see the frightened ones?
Did you hear the falling bombs?
The flames are all gone, but the pain lingers on.

I may have finally found something I can do that benefits with a Natural Resources degree. Next week I am interviewing for a seat on the local environmental commission. It’s strictly a voluntary position with the community where nine people sit high and mighty at the city hall chambers and vote “aye or nay” on a number of local issues. I’ve worked with a couple commissions around the Twin cities before and it’s definitely something that would make me appreciate my BS degree a little more.

Currently there are two seats open and three people have signed up to be interviewed. In one of the emails I received, they actually included the applications of all applicants (I have no idea if that was intended or not). One applicant seems to be an older woman who has an appreciation for the community and environment which is commendable. The other applicant is a kid about five years younger than me. He states in his application that he plans on going to school to pursue a degree in Natural Resources.

Bwahahahahhaha Now that means I have to be competent enough to explain that I actually have a degree in natural resources and have been around the block in terms of the issues. Basically to put it conservatively, I think I have a shot at this position.

If I get the nod I think at the first meeting I’ll look at the public access cameras and say something like,
“"I don't care what people are saying Uptown or wherever they are. This city will be chocolate at the end of the day," he said. "This city will be a majority African-American city. It's the way God wants it to be."
"How do you make chocolate? You take dark chocolate, you mix it with white milk, and it becomes a delicious drink. That is the chocolate I am talking about," he said. "New Orleans was a chocolate city before Katrina. It is going to be a chocolate city after. How is that divisive? It is white and black working together, coming together and making something special."
New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin

In a word, that would be epic!

When Nagin says that though, I keep thinking of a chocolate town where one could eat the Superdome and streetlights like in that one episode of the Simpsons. Actually the statement is great propaganda for chocolate. I wanna go and buy a Hershey bar right now. I wanna go to New Orleans and eat a crap load of chocolate.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Commissioner Boof?
Visions of Sugar Plumbs! I have a young neighbor that has a major in Biology, and a minor in Botony. He also applied for the spot of which you speak. He was passed by for a layperson with only common knowledge. The great City of Oakdale does not necessarily want your knowledge. Often they act questionably, even sometimes illegally. Many a wetland pond has "dissapeared" into a building project. The commission spent years laying out area wildlife corridors, and the council threw them out because a few residents complained they did not want to comply. These corridors are now voluntary, and have virtually dissapeared. Good Luck on your Qwest Bald Knight!

Boof said...

thou state thy name and email me.
or vice versa.