Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Tackling the Tough Issues

For me...it's the only life
That I've ever known
And love is only one fine star away
Even though the living
Is sometimes laced with lies
It's alright...


I have been continuously frustrated the last couple months over the common debate of Pro Choice vs. Pro Life. I guess it’s come to a pinnacle with Roe V Wade being the HUGE issue over the appointment over a Supreme Court Justice because it seems that the center issue is abortion and the reversal of Roe V. Wade.

Now comes the debate.

When it comes to most debates, I can understand and see both sides and the opposing view. In this debate, I just cannot see it and understand it so bare with me if you disagree.

I am completely pro choice if nothing more than for a mother (or couple) to have more choices in case an accident happens. It’s simply the freedom of having an abortion or not.

Pro Lifers believe that it’s a complete moral issue and that it’s the act of killing a human after conception.

Here’s my misunderstanding, if it’s a moral issue then shouldn’t it stick to the families with specific morals? I know my family has completely different morals from other families and in no way do I expect others to follow my own personal morals, so why legislate it? Morals are basically ethics with religion involved and last time I checked, there are many different religions in the US, so why legislate it?

I just cannot see how someone who is against abortion to try to force their beliefs on others? If you’re pro life and you get knocked up, DON’T HAVE AN ABORTION! Why is it more complicated than that? But no, it is more complicated because some people are so afraid that Miss Whore will just use abortion as a form of birth control. If that’s the case, WHO THE FUCK CARES? It’s Miss Whore’s life if she wants to screw up her body by having 6 abortions, that’s her right. Let her become sterile for all I care.

Apparently it seems that Miss Whore should have the kids as a form of punishment (punishment, is that how we value life?) and Miss Whore should then raise a kid she never even wanted because other people have certain morals. That makes little sense to me.

It’s also a sin to have an abortion. Well then don’t commit a sin. In fact, if that’s the route you’re going to go, what about the whole ‘wait until marriage thing’? Then to go farther on down, what ever happened to the ‘don’t even fucking think about divorce’ thing? It seems that society sins enough and to rank sins is a little fucking ridiculous.

And then the idea that killing an embryo is murder. What the hell is that about? Do you talk to the embryo? Do you value it’s opinion on domestic trade? My point is that there is no mind, no brain, and no feelings so what’s the problem?

I just don’t understand why people want to remove the choice of abortion simply because it breaks their own personal rules of a higher power and their own morality.

Then we have the classic rebuttals,

Well, what if you were aborted? Ah, what kind of a stupid fucking question is that? What if I decided to eat a turkey sammich instead of a ham sammich?

So you want to legislate murder? Well, I don’t consider it murder and I don’t believe in the government to legislate people to moral prison in having a kid they don’t want.

I do have to admit that it kinda scares the crap out of me that it seems that the only important issue when appointing a Supreme Court Justice is their view on abortion and overturning Roe Vs. Wade.

I don’t know, sorry to offend anyone. I just am troubled by this topic.

7 comments:

Hog said...

I can't believe this topic hasn't gotten any comments yet.

Boof said...

yeah I can bring up the abortion debate and nothing.

But when I mention AIDS jokes, then everyone comes out of the woodwork.

eh, I'm sure everyone is just sick of the debate.

bigg_pappa said...

I would like to throw a third voice into the debate; what about those pro-abortion? I mean, the world is getting too populated anyway. And sure, some kids are cute for awhile, but then they just turn evil. Think of the savings to our healthcare system if we don't have to worry about post-natal care anymore.

Roe vs. Wade. vs. the Grim Reaper

Eric Wormann said...

I'm pro life, and I see where you're coming from, but I don't agree. Your logic concerning morals is a little off:

"Pro Lifers believe that it’s a complete moral issue and that it’s the act of killing a human after conception."

This is true.

"if it’s a moral issue then shouldn’t it stick to the families with specific morals?"

By that logic, if I decide I don't want my 5 year old anymore, I can kill him. I mean, to you it may be morally wrong for me to kill my 5 year old, but I see no problem with it, so why should they legislate it?

If you simply said that you think the option should be open for emergencies, then it becomes more of a gray area for me, but I can't follow the "do what's right for you" logic on this one.

Boof said...

I guess what I meant by morals is something like premarital sex would be immoral to one family where as another it would be accepted.

I wouldn't think government should legislate against premarial sex (if it were possible).

others would be
oral sex
eating meat on Fridays during lent
gay rights (but that's a whole different can of worms)
and a local one here is liquor stores being closed on Sundays, you can't buy any here.

All those topics I believe should be left alone in terms of legislation because religion plays a major factor in them and some are completely religeon based.

As for killing a 5 year old, I believe that's more of an ethical/rational decision. Obviously killing a living, breathing, functional human who's done no wrong is indeed wrong and illegal. Of course one could say that abortion is killing as well, but I find a difference between a 5 year old (or a 2 month old or 48 year old) and a small mass of tissue.

But don't get me wrong, I'm not pro abortion. I just think the option should be there.

agree to disagree. When in Rome...

Eric Wormann said...

See, my dilemma is that I'm anti-abortion, but pro-killing-5-year-olds.

Boof said...

A dillema I have is

I'm all for the war but I don't support our troops.

haha