Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 31, 2006

The Da Vinci Code Review

Rocket, yeah
(Satellite of love)
Rocket, yeah
(Satellite of love)

A couple years ago I was told to read The Da Vinci Code because of its interesting ideas and how ridiculously easy it is to read. I started on it and could not put it down. I spent hours on one Saturday just reading and reading (and this is coming from a guy where it took 3 years to read Jurassic Park).

I read the whole thing and was completely amazed. It was, without a doubt, the best book that I have ever read. It was as good as The Stand but Da Vinci Code actually had an ending (compared to that piece of shit that was an ending in The Stand. I mean really, any god damn story could end the way The Stand ended. I remember throwing that book and stomping on it for wasting my time…anyway).

I then heard that Angels and Demons was the prequel and I immediately snagged it up and read that in a week which is unheard of for me. I even came away from reading Angels and Demons with even more amazement than The Da Vinci Code.

Needless to say I was a little curious to see the movie.

I wasn’t excited or craving seeing the movie because I have never seen a movie better than the book. I remember my anticipation for seeing The Lost World because the book blew me away. The people involved with making the movie, though, didn’t read the book apparently and instead managed to completely screw up a great idea. Completely!

With The Da Vinci Code I have always been a bit against the movie because I don’t think there’s any way it could live up to the book. When they announced that Ron Howard was going to direct it, I was a little pleased. I have always been a bit of a fan for Howard with Cinderella Man and one of my all time favorites, Apollo 13. When they announced that Tom Hanks was going to play the role of Robert Langdon, I was a little curious although I didn’t think he was the best for the character. Hanks has also been a favorite because anything the guy touched in the 90’s immediately turned to gold.

So we’ll see what happens.

I saw the movie and immediately wondered why the hell Ron Howard decided to direct such an impossible project. The movie had absolutely no character development--I don’t even think Hanks smiles in the movie at all. There was also one joke that I could remember. Ugh

Also I believe it was miscast. Hanks has no business being in this movie and Audrey Tautou looks like she’s 13. The whole movie looks like Hanks is running around Paris with his niece.

The one scene that I thought matched up with the book is The Last Supper scene where Teabing is explaining to Sophia and Langdon about Da Vinci’s method to painting the famous…whatsitcalled…tempera.

Basically I didn’t think this movie was bad but it just never accomplished it’s goal. To me, Howard struggled between slowing up the movie enough to keep non readers up date while not making it too slow for readers to get bored. Then the movie moves from scene to scene like all the characters are robots and that they have little sense of feeling or emotion.

So if you’ve read the book, wait until the movie comes out on DVD (probably next week).
If you haven’t read the book, then read Angels and Demons, Da Vinci Code, and then contemplate seeing the movie.

No comments: