Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Petty/Pearl Jam part 1

Well some say life will beat you down
Break your heart, steal your crown
So I've started out, for God knows where
I guess I'll know when I get there


When I bought my tickets for the Pearl Jam/ Tom Petty shows they labeled it as a double bill in that both acts would play the same amount of time. What the real deal was, Pearl Jam was just the warm up act for Tom Petty.

Had I known that before the concert I would’ve been thoroughly pissed. I believe the sentence,
“I paid $100 for a fucking warm up band?” come to mind.

After seeing the show, I’m almost glad PJ was the warm up act because Tom Petty was awesome and blew me away.

Now I don’t have anything against Tom Petty because I totally respect him as a musician. I have his greatest hits album and I thought that “The Last DJ” was very good if anything for it’s backlash against the radio station conglomerates. For this show, however, I was there for Pearl Jam because I’m a fan. I bleed Pearl Jam (yuck).

So Pearl Jam come on stage at 7:30 and played a 90minute set of typical stuff off of Ten and a bunch of songs from their new album. Nothing was really that memorable and there weren’t too many of their jams which made for a mediocre show. Perhaps they were just playing their part as a warm up band or it just happened to be the set they were performing but nothing really stuck out of PJ’s time on stage except when Eddie Vedder fell down during “Alive”. I was hoping for some deeper tracks like “No Way” or “

Tom Petty came on at 9:45 and I was left with my arms crossed and kinda irritated that PJ only had 90 minutes and I felt a little “duped”. Tom Petty then performed two hours of his greatest hits and it was fantastic! Learning to Fly was intimate, Refugee was electric, and American Girl was sung with Eddie Vedder and that was a special moment.

Basically Tom Petty’s set made me forget all about Pearl Jam’s performance which is very surprising.

Needless to say, I can’t WAIT for round 2 tonight.

Here's a clip of Pearl Jam playing Jeremy from last night.

No comments: