Search This Blog

Monday, July 10, 2006

World Cup Crap

Youll be doin society a favor.
That sonofabitch is brave and gettin braver.
We want to put his ass in stir
We want to pin this triple murder on him
He aint no gentleman jim.

Crap List


-Road Construction
I believe one of the best ways to do road construction would be to have a huge company with tens of thousands of workers do all the road work around the country. Then each major city would have one weekend where all the major roads are closed down for massive construction and repair. The folks of Townsville would be warned like a year in advance with hourly reminders on all media type leading up to said construction.
“ALL ROAD ARE BROKEN. STAY HOME AND TALK TO YOUR KIDS, TAKE A WALK AROUND THE BLOCK, AND OR DO WHATEVER IT IS YOU GUYS DO AT HOME FOR THIS WEEKEND BECAUSE YOU ALL ARE GOING NOWHERE.”

That’s kinda like what’s going on here. Except they don’t have many warnings and there are miscellaneous patches of open road in-between long stretches of construction.

It’s crazy. This weekend it seemed as if half of 494/694 was all being repaired for some reason. 94 here in St. Paul was down to one lane for most of the weekend. I found out HW36 will be shut down almost ENTIRELY for most of next year (HW 36!!!!!), and even the local neighborhood has construction going on.

Come next year at this time, I would hope that these improvements are so good that I drive around and go,
“oooooh wow! That’s the nicest stretch of pavement my eyes have ever seen.” and I drive around in awe.

I took the same route in two weeks and both were completely different. One week it was basically point A-point B. The next time it was point A-to point X-to point T-take a detour through Roseville-point V-detour through St. Cloud-point Q-to finally at point B.

I’ll be a happier guy once we have flying cars.

-out dooped

Not that it takes much to out-doop me or anything but...
We made plans to go to the pub yesterday to watch the final game of the World Cup. It was kind of nice because in the last month some of us would try to catch morning games and would filter in and out of the pub throughout the month, so for the last game it just seemed natural that we all had to see the event through.

We made calls and plans to come to the pub early to reserve half the pub so we could pig out on the brunch buffet on the convenient qualities of a table (maybe even three pushed together). I get the paper and I like the feel of Sunday mornings (and I’m not expecting to be hungover) so I volunteered to come to the pub at 11am (2 hours before the match) so I could reserve some tables and stools.

When I arrived at the pub (11:15, a little late) I walked in confidently only to find one person at each table who already had a better plan than I did (arriving earlier than 11:15). The place wasn’t packed but there was one person reserving each table in the entire joint. These guys were all the representatives of their respective group of friends.

We did end up getting a decent seat but it sucks that I couldn’t get one of those illustrious “tables” but oh well.

By the way, the place wasn’t just ‘standing room only’ during the match, it was probably at capacity in the place. Like if the fire Marshall decided to show up, he’d probably blow his helmet off with all the people in the pub. Basically reserving space (any kind of space) was good enough.

-my nail clipper
I can’t find the damn thing right now… Dammit.

No comments: