Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Family Reunion (with pics)

I found out long ago
It's a long way down the holiday road
Holiday road

(That song must have taken like 2 seconds to write.)

Last Saturday was our Iowa family reunion and as much as I whined and cried about it, it really wasn’t that bad. The last reunion was 14 years ago and with people getting old, new members to the family who don’t know anyone, and the simple notion to get together it seemed like a good time to have another.
We had such a good time that a vote was even made to have a family reunion every two (2) years .

(blink: blink)

Grr. I’m. So. Happy. I. Can’t. Wait. Until. Two. More. Years! Grrr.

Anyway, like I said, It wasn’t that bad. I learned a lot about my family.
This is our family tree. I'm in that tannish clump on the right. If you can't see it (you probably can't) they mispelled my name anyways) It all started back in 1842(?) when Franz and Barb married and then went crazy with each other. Fast forward the tape 164 years and over 160 people came about because apparently Germany wasn't the place to be.
I also found out that I am number 147 in this family which makes everything seem so corporate.

There were so many people that they had to rent out a porto-john which was literally right in the middle of where everyone was hanging out. I asked where the bathroom was (thinking that this was some Iowan lawn ornament) and my cousin pointed at this with a big grin. I said, "screw that" and went in the weeds instead.

This is where everyone threw their cooler. There was a lot of people.

This was a game of catch with the football between my cousin and--whats-his-title? ah my cousin's kid. One kid hangs out in the corn and waits for the football to drop somewhere and then mysteriously the football flies out of the corn field. I actually wanted to play too but these guys were too tired when I came up.

This is a game called redneck horseshoes (excluding that board with all the holes in it). You toss a toilet seat and try to get it through the plunger. It's harder than what it looks because the blasted plunger is so flimsy. I never got a ringer. I was also told that these seats were washed too so it's all good.

and this is (from left to right)...everyone.
Can you find me?

6 comments:

Aliecat said...

I haven't been to a family reunion in years...but that's because they're all insane...but yours looks fun!

The Steph said...

Best line: "and this is (from left to right)...everyone."

You know what else happens in two years...from today...SUMMER OLYMPICS!!!!! I'm excited already. More excited about that then I am about Boof's Family Reunion, part deux. Sorry. But it could be a good excuse to get out of the reunion!

Boof said...

pfff summer olympics.

Winter olympics is what everything, sports in general, is all aboot

The Steph said...

The adjective doesn't matter...it's the noun...OLYMPICS.

Eric Wormann said...

sitting in the front, second from the left

Boof said...

Nah, I'm the other little girl