Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Boof's Borat Review

Behind her eyes there's curtains
and they've been closed to hide the flames.
She knows their futures burning
but she can smile just the same.


I had to see it. The KQ morning show was pimping this movie like nothing I’ve ever heard of. The local newspaper dubbed this movie as the best comedy ever and both papers gave this movie a 4 star ratings. On rottentomatos.com the movie received a 95% fresh rating, the highest rating I have seen. Beyond that, on Saturday I was hearing reports on how great this movie was from my touch football team. Just one day after it was released, the buzz was going crazy.

Borat the movie was something I had to see. I’ve only watched a couple episodes of the Ali G show and I never really cared for it although the short clips that I have heard of Borat were pretty entertaining. I couldn’t even wait until next weekend to see this movie with Hog and company (President’s cup VI this Saturday btw) next weekend. I had to see it right now.

With all that being said, I’m fully aware that out of a million people, 999,999 will find this movie so funny that they need to bring in a toilet into the theatre to keep from making a mess, the other one person just may not have gotten it.

I’m actually that one person. Don’t get me wrong, I didn’t think the movie was bad but 80 minutes of Borat is about 60minutes too much as far as I’m concerned. Not to mention it felt like I was watching a little of the old Tom Green show which annoyed me more than anything.

The Tom Green Show had these bits with Green dressed up as an old man and he’d be on a motor scooter pretending to be unaware of his surroundings. He’d run into on coming traffic which would cause good Samaritans to help him out only for him to continue on with his stupid antics. Borat had at least one scene like this in an antique store and it was completely stupid. I don’t think it’s funny as much as I get empathize with the antique store owner (if that wasn’t staged) and think, “god, what a annoying ass guy!”

Anyway I think my main problem with this movie is that I could see what they were trying to do--make Borat a character that everyone could love but he just doesn’t understand the American way of life--but you could tell a lot the movie was staged. When that happens, the fakeumentary is kinda dumb and loses it’s luster.

The one really funny part of the movie I enjoyed was that bear that was locked up in the ice cream truck that Borat and his friend were driving around the country. They stop in a residential area where the kids see the ice cream man and run up to the vehicle, like happy little kids do, until a giant bear roars out of the window and scares the crap out of all the little kids. That was comedy gold but the rest of the movie is just an assortment of Jew jokes, gypsy jokes, gay jokes, and women jokes. It’s like a stand up routine that just never changes subjects.

It’s also very formulaic. Basically Borat is traveling across the country and he arrives somewhere, meets someone, and says/does something really shocking. Once you know the formula the movie doesn’t really surprise you. Also the ending is generally predictable.

What I find really surprising is that I’ve heard a lot of people say, “If you don’t find this movie ‘crap in your pants’ funny then you gotta take a long look in the mirror.” which is absurd. I mean I know Borat is popular but it’s not a watermark in ones personality.

Borat wasn’t a bad movie but I just didn’t think it was worth the price of admission. I noticed the person in front of me checking out the time on her phone and I was generally more interested in that than the movie. It’s not 4 stars but it’s probably 2.

Of course Borat could be a movie that grows on me like Anchorman and The Big Lebowski in that the more times you watch it, the funnier it gets.

2 comments:

Barry Metropolis said...

Count me as one of the 999,999. I can't wait to see it again. I understand your criticisms though.

Anonymous said...

Count me as one who liked it, although I can totally see your point. i never laughed out loud, but I was pretty amused for the whole movie. You didn't laugh when he was fighting with his producer in the hotel room?
--Orbitron19