Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Black Snake Moan Review

Cryin' won't help you, prayin' won't do you no good,
Now, cryin' won't help you, prayin' won't do you no good,
When the levee breaks, mama, you got to move.


Bottom line: Best movie I’ve seen since Walk The Line.

Basically take Samuel L. Jackson, a hot nymphomaniac hooked on a 40lb chain leash, hardcore southern blues, and great dialogue and you have a fucking awesome movie.

I actually was wanting to see 300 or Zodiac but I figured I’d probably end up hating 300 (all action and no story) and Zodiac…well, I just wasn’t in the mood to see zodiac. Black Snake Moan was a movie I’ve been wanting to see but it’s just fallen off the radar with those other two movies coming out. Also I think the advertisement for Black Snake Moan look a little tacky but I’ve heard so many reviews that this movie is just a bit different in style so that got me destined to see it.

The story takes place in the deep south (Tennessee I think) and Lazarus (Samuel L.) gets burned in a couple different relationships and basically gives up on his faith and life in general until one morning. After a cathartic night of drinking Lazarus finds a half naked, completely drugged, and beaten up Rae (Christina Ricci) laying in the street.

Next she’s chained up to Lazarus’ radiator to help her get over her “ailment” (ie her crazy urge to fuck).

I wont go on to what happens after that but god damn this movie is awesome. What I loved more than anything about this movie was the soundtrack with hardcore blues blaring during the climax of the movie. Lazarus plays a song that’s never been sung to anyone else in “Black Snake Moan” being the actual name of the song and it’s as powerful of a blues song that I’ve ever heard. Very stylish in the sense of a Quentin Tarantino film.

What I didn’t know was anything about Christina Ricci. I’ve heard the name before but I couldn’t tell you any movie she’s been in based on how she looked in this movie. After seeing her in IMDB.com I found out that she was that actress that always looked like Wednesday Adams from the Adams Family in every movie she’d been in.

If there was a weakness in the movie it’s probably Justin Timberlake who didn’t really match the performance by Jackson or Ricci but he didn’t do a horrible job so it’s not like watching Paul Walker do his best manikin impersonation.

Overall I’m definitely buying this movie and don’t let the weird ads for this movie bug ya. This movie is awesome and it’s got some good soul to it.

No comments: