Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Good Movies...uh Yo

When troubles call, and your backs to the wall
There a lot to be learned, that wall could fall

The Departed
Stranger Than Fiction
Rocky Balboa
Black Snake Moan


These are the last four movies that I have seen and with me having the notion that 2 out of ten movies will be decent, this is one hell of a good movie streak.

First let me give a quickie review of Rocky Balboa since some of you may be surprised to see that up there. I have been a semi-Rocky fan. I don’t love Rocky movies but every time one is on TNT I will drop everything in life just to watch the end of said movie--especially if it’s Rocky IV…I can’t get enough of Carl Weathers dancing like an idiot.

I came into this movie thinking what a fucking joke it is for Stallone to make another Rocky movie with him being 65 or whatever. This is actually what everyone should think and unbelievably, Stallone knew that and based a movie around that notion. Thinking this was going to be an extension of that awful Rocky V movie, I felt that this would be another yawn fest of making a comeback and “rock-ey, rock-ey, rock-ey” which I guess both are true but it’s respectful in the way of if Bud Grant came back to coach or something.

The movie does have a weird way of gripping the audience before they know it. Stallone does a great job of reacquainting the character of Rocky by dedicating a third of the movie with straight dialogue and laying the foundation of a very dignified and lovable hero. Also he doesn’t waste the time in setting up some contrived love scene but instead making a friendship with a woman he helped back 30 years ago.

I’m not kidding. This movie is really good and is arguably in the top 3 range for Rocky movies.

Review over

But I am amazed at how many good and new movies I have ran into. Without a doubt I’ve been avoiding movies with Tim Allen and directed by M. Night. Shymalon so I figure I have a good radar for things like that but still I always run into a dud like Saw II or Reign of Fire or crap like that.

I just read that last paragraph and I did something that I dislike when I read blogs, it’s the “I can’t believe how boring my example is” type of thing. Oh well, deal with it I guess.

No comments: