Search This Blog

Friday, March 23, 2007

Tubby!?

Did you ever wonder
Why we had to run for shelter
When the promise of a brave new world
Unfurled beneath a clear blue sky


Listening to the radio on my way to the bank…

Host:…obviously the recruiting job between Kentucky and the U of M is vastly different.
Producer: yeah, pfff but if he was to have the success that he’s had at Kentucky then things would be great!

-----
Boof thinks to himself: well obviously it’s a slow sports day and these guys are dreaming the utterly stupid scenario of the Gophers hiring Tubby Smith from Kentucky. Whatever.

So I then go on my merry way into the bank.

Come back and turn the radio on.

Host:…Saunders has recently said that he’s not interested and I’m wondering how this rates with that?

Huh? How what rates with who?

Producer: I just can’t believe Tubby Smith is coming here.
Host: It just doesn’t seem true does it?
Producer: Just unbelievable.

Uh…What. The. Fuck?

Host: If you’ve just tuned in, it will be announced in the next hour that Tubby Smith will be leaving the University of Kentucky and will be joining the University of Minnesota for it’s head basketball coaching position.

WHAT THE FUCK!!!

Now just the simple phrase of (coaches name) leaving the University of Kentucky and will be joining the University of Minnesota for it’s head basketball coach position is pure comedy gold.

It reminds me of Ron Burgandy when he said,
“I THOUGHT THAT WAS A JOKE! I EVEN WROTE IT IN MY DIARY! I laughed about it later that night!”

It’s pretty much the same scenario with me. If someone were to tell me this, I would be slapping my knees in gut busting laughter. The thought of Tubby Smith ignoring a job in Michigan and Iowa (to name a few) and coming to this school--who everyone agrees that their basketball team is in shambles--is just flat out funny.

When a basketball team has their entire team coming back the next year it’s usually a good thing. A bragging point about the next year even. With the gophers and how bad they were this year, it’s decidedly a humbling fact. I mean, I watched that Michigan-Minnesota Big Ten tournament game and the gophers scored 16 points in the first half.
16 fucking points! It was also as if I was watching 5 gangly blind men playing out there.

Gophers just hired a guy who’s won as many national championships as Tom Izzo. A guy who's third place in the last ten years in games won! OMFG!!!

No comments: