Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 04, 2007

A Free Lunch?

In violent times
You shouldn't have to sell your soul
In black and white
They really really ought to know


So yesterday was the big lunch that the office ladies begged me to come to. I figured that since they begged me and since it should be well understood that I work nights that there was something else to the lunch.

Well there was no certificate, no announcement that I’m going on days, no gold medal, no drawing for Twins tickets, no solid gold house, and no fucking rocket car. All it was was mediocre burritos and a can of pop.

UGH!!!!

So I said my hellos and grabbed my burrito when I had a conversation with one of the office ladies,

N: Hey Tom it’s so nice to see you!
T: yeah this isn’t too bad
N: Maybe you could come to these more often.
T: Well, maybe next month we could have this at 6pm
N: haha hey everyone, would you like to come in at 6pm?

And everyone just kinda groaned and weren’t terribly receptive to that thought. I think I made my point but I don’t know if the office ladies got it.

As I was leaving another office lady asked me,
M: So are you going to hang out here for a couple hours for your shift to start?

(blink:blink) So apparently they knew that this lunch was eating up what I had left of my free time and they even knew that I might be living a half hour away (in which case I would be furious) but they still didn’t get it.

WHY WOULD I STAY HERE AT WORK AND KILL A COUPLE HOURS BECAUSE OF A FREE LUNCH? Why would I (potentially) drive out of my way for a free lunch? My coworkers even came up to me and asked if this was cutting into my Tuesday. I just kinda nodded and said that I was begged to show up.

It was a nice gesture, not many companies give out free food but it’s a bit too inconvenient to me.

1 comment:

The Steph said...

Remember, there's no such thing as a free lunch.