Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 06, 2007

I Fainted

Sunshine on a shiny ocean
Sunshine on a shiny bay
I opened a tiny shutter and
Sunshine blew me away


Over last weekend I noticed that my finger was growing tender by the day. Right below the cuticle a sizable bulge started making its way and putting pressure on the rest of my finger. The actual term is paranychia and I’ve actually had it before so I wasn’t too worried.

2004 Black Hills
Working for the Forest Service I had this same bulge on my left thumb. I didn’t know what it was so I ignored it for a few days. Eventually the pressure and pain was so much that I winced in pain while on the job and started doubling over. My coworker looked at my thumb and it was very much disproportioned and the size of two thumbs. My coworker stepped back and said,
“oh my god huhuh.” because the sight was very odd.

I got some antibiotics and I accidentally nicked that thumb onto something and tons of pus went draining out of my ballooned thumb. Everything was great after that.
****

This time the problem is on my index finger and it was just before the point of throbbing paint so I called up the doc so I could get it taken care of. Doc sees me and tells me that he can drain the fluid out and give me some pills.

Doc: Sound like a deal?
Boof: yup lets do it.

So I sat down and the doc shot some Novocain in my finger. The needle bothered me a little but I was cool about it. Then the doctor sets a scalpel and tweezers next to my finger.

I’ve never ever been a queasy person when it comes to this stuff so I still felt comfortable with everything--I’m not the wuss that Steph would have you believe. I couldn’t feel my finger and I really wanted this infected finger to go away. So I continued making conversation with the doctor.

He picked up his tools and I naturally looked away. I couldn’t feel anything but I knew he was doing something and time slowed up a bit. I must’ve started breathing heavily when he asked me if I was alright and I assured him I was alright and to continue on. Slowly my vision started fading away and I was having tv-like snow filling my peripheral vision.

“Actually I’m starting to feel a little light headed.”

Doc then gets up and gives me a Dixie cup full of water. I drink it and I’m continuing to go numb and losing control. I set the cup down and soon my vision was nothing and I hit this dream-like state. I had a song in my head that was going on and on and I was in this crazy dream state. It was like when you press your eyes in and you start seeing weird colors and shapes.

I then felt a tug on my shoulder and I looked up as my vision slowly came back to me and this doctor was looking right back at me slightly worried. I had no idea where I was but I knew this man was a doctor.

Did I get into a car crash?
Why am I here?
What is wrong with me?

The heartbeat increased and I broke out in a cold sweat as I couldn’t figured out what happened.

“What is going on?” I worriedly asked.

“You passed out there. Your head was slumped down and I caught you before you crashed to the floor.”
I started looking around the room and slowly I started realizing why I was in this room and what I was doing before I went out.

“How long was I out?” because it felt like I was gone for an hour.
“About a could seconds. I turned around and your head was dipping. It’s a good thing you told me about the light headedness. How much have you had to eat today?”

Now I couldn’t even remember where I was a couple seconds ago let alone what I had to eat so I just shrugged my shoulders and gave him a “how the hell should I know” look. As it turns out I had a little nutri-grain bar for breakfast and a liter of water--then I went and ran 4 miles and lifted some weights right before I went into the doc’s offices so…yeah, I didn’t have much in my stomach.

It was kinda crazy fainting in the doctor’s office but what is even weirder is “waking up” and seeing the doctor with a somewhat worried look on his face. Just the sense of not knowing what the hell is going on was very odd to say the least.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes I remember the finger I was there that fine summer.... What the heck do you do to get them to pus up like that, it's like magic???

The Steph said...

Pretty defensive there considering I hadn't made a public comment yet about your level of wimpiness...hahaha.