Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Ugh

I used to be on an endless run
Believed in miracles 'cuz I'm one

I remember there was some point in 2006 where I was watching another Johan gem when I thought, "man, this guy is going to be gone in a couple years."  The guy was just too good and the Twins just don't have the money to keep a guy like that.

Then I thought, "Wait a minute, imagine, just imagine, what the Twins could get in a trade."  Then I looked up to the ceiling and started dreaming of cleaning out some team's farm system and the Twins becoming dominant and young.  It was when I thought of that scenario when I started looking forward to see who the Twins could get.

Then the bids started coming in.

Red Sox offered their prospects
Yankees offered their prospects

Both bids never really blew me away.  I felt that both were undervaluing Santana.  I figured that the two would just out bid each other and pretty soon we'd have a team of Beckett, Ortiz, and Ramirez or Arod, Wang, and Cano. 

What happened today was like waiting for a date with Sara Evans and finding out it was Sara Jessica Parker instead.  I mean sure she's got a nice body and one could just close their eyes and pretend it's Sara Evans, but it's when her nose crashes through the front door is when you realize that you didn't get exactly what you wanted. 

With this deal I can't really say that I know much about either prospect but I do know that the Twins traded one of the best pitchers in baseball for four prospects.  It's a very sobering realization to know that a guy who should've been the Cy Young award winner three years in a row was traded for guys that simply 'may do well' in 3 years.

It's really frustrating and I want to be mad at someone but I don't really know who.  I mean Bill Smith seemed to be handcuffed because he needed to find a team that A) had prospects, B) was rich C) was looking for a pitcher, and D) was located on the east coast (per request from Santana).  Basically that leaves us with the two NY teams and Boston.  Yankees dropped out of the race about a week ago and, like I said, I don't know how serious Boston ever was.  Which leaves us with just the Mets.

Crap.

Also whenever the Twins make a trade I tend to blindly side with them because their history of trades suggest that we all should shut up and take a breath.  Also if the Red Sox offers were still on the table then Smith liked this Mets offer better for some reason (or perhaps the Red Sox were never really interested). 

It's just really frustrating that, as a Minnesota fan, all our guys end up going east.  It's like our teams aren't built for super talented players

No comments: