Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 03, 2008

Politics

All in all it's just another brick in the wall.
All in all you're just another brick in the wall

 

I just got into a semi-heated argument with my workers on ethics vs. morals and how it's totally wrong to legislate based on morals.  Argh it was horrible, because I knew they were wrong as hell and their definitions were so incorrect that correcting them was just adding fuel to the fire.  It all started with me watching the RNC and totally dismissing Sarah Palin. 

I try to be as moderate as they come.  I listen to both sides and I try to keep myself up to date when it comes to political issues.  I have usually voted democrat but I always keep my options open just to try and remain somewhat objective.  However, I think I'm still biased.

I watched the DNC and that seemed downright amazing with the stage setups and how seamlessly it all was.  It seemed like they firmly believed in everything and it was almost--and I'm going to whisper this--kinda honest.  It's not without my fair share of eye rolling but it seemed really great. 

Even in a couple of the speeches I think I may have bought the underlining message.  I hate even admitting that.  After watching the DNC I have to admit, I think the Dems have this election in the bag.  They just have too much going in their favor.  In 2004 I firmly believe that all the Dems needed was a dignified person to run against Bush but unfortunately they couldn't do that.  I mean how embarrassing is it to lose to George Bush?  Obama seems to be that dignified character. 

The RNC is finally getting underway and after watching the last two days I have to say, I'm not impressed.  It seems very corny, very boring, and I don't believe the speakers as much.  Maybe it's the numerous chants: "Drill baby, Drill!" and all the really dumb jokes about pop culture.  It's like hearing my mom make a joke about pop culture.  One thing that I've noticed is that everyone is pronouncing Palin differently.  It seems a bit disingenuious when people can't even pronounce your name...and you're running for VP.

Obviously my bias is coming out but I can't help it.  I like McCain for how different he is than any other republican.  I like how he seems to follow his beliefs instead of his party's and how bi-partisan he seems to be.  I think it's very important to work with both sides in order to effectively execute in this country.  I really wanted McCain to select Leiberman as his VP but I knew he wouldn't do so.  It would infuriate too many conservatives (just like Lieberman infuriated many liberals). 

Needless to say, I'm not impressed with McCain's choice in Sarah Palin.  McCain, to me, represents independence from the republican party.  Sarah Palin represents republican in capital, bold letters which is enough to completely turn me off on the McCain ticket.  I mean with McCain's age I think it's very important to consider his runningmate because he's going to be 76 when he will be making another speech wanting to be re-elected or giving his endorsement.  Sarah Palin as President makes me shudder and I would hate her being a VP lead her to being a President--not because she's a woman but because I don't agree with her hardcore republican views.

With that being said, I can't wait for the debates. Both sides will be talking about change which seems very awkward for the republican side since the republicans are just coming off of 8 years of crap. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well said! Palin is pathetic! So far all we know is that she can read a teleprompter! The only thing I can see good about her is that she miight do well on those long Alaskan nights!