Search This Blog

Thursday, December 04, 2008

Can the Vikings Win?

after the service when you're walking slowly to the car
and the silver in her hair shines in the cold November air
you hear the tolling bell
and touch the silk in your lapel


I remember watching Vikings football in the early 90's.  I had hope every game, there were players who I loved to watch, and every year it seemed like we had a shot of making the playoffs and possibly making it to the Superbowl.  We had players like Doleman, Carter, and Warren Moon and every game I would be glued to the TV.  I would yell at my dad whenever he would mention the Packers and I had the Doritoes and Milk flowing.

Not much has changed since the 90's because the Vikings still have players to root for and I have hope every single game.  The only way I differ is their shot in making the playoffs.  I mean, they *could* make the playoffs but so what?  I'm so sick of seeing Minnesota teams making the playoffs and losing right away that I would almost wait until we have a better team with a better quarterback and then waste our time watching them. 

I know, I know "Trent Dilfer won the Superbowl" and Doug Johnson did this and Rudy did that.  Folks, we're talking about Vikings football where all miracles come AGAINST the Vikings.  The whole notion of wishing for luck when it comes to Vikings football seems like a joke and for some reason and I think of us as the Washington Generals and everyone we play in the playoffs are the Globetrotters. 

Seriously, Gus Frerrote is going to lead us to the Superbowl?  We're supposed to win 2 of the last 4 games without 2 Probowl defensive lineman?  Brad Childress is going to win any of these games with his poor play calling? 

I certainly hope so, but reality says that this is another mediocre year in a terrible division with a coach who is over his head. 

All I do know is after watching 15+ years of Vikings football is that this game against the Lions is the classic game the Vikings lose.  I remember in 2003 when the Vikings had two win the last two games of the year.  Game 15 was against the Chiefs who were nearly unstoppable and nearly everyone wrote this game off as a loss.  Game 16 was against one of the worst teams of the year in Arizona. 

End result:  We blew away the Chiefs and lost to the Cardinals in dramatic fashion.  We don't have this same scenario this week but the Lions are really, really bad and some people would say that they're due.  They also may be without the Williams duo and if that's the case, I can see Kevin Smith running all over us.  ugh. 

Prove me wrong guys, prove me wrong

No comments: